Press "Enter" to skip to content

Albemarle family of 3 displaced after fire

A fire at a residence in northwest Albemarle County Wednesday afternoon displaced a family of three.

County firefighters were dispatched to a reported burning structure on the 5100 block of Browns Gap Turnpike at about 3:56 p.m.

Twenty-one minutes after being dispatched, the fire department said crews arrived at a single-story home where they encountered smoke and flames coming from a crawlspace.

Firefighters extinguished the fire by applying water through the floorboards located above the crawlspace, Albemarle County Fire Rescue said in a statement.

A family of three was home when the fire broke out, and while they were able to escape unscathed, the fire department said the family has been displaced by the blaze.

They are being assisted by relatives, according to the county. An investigation into the fire is being conducted by the Albemarle County Fire Marshal’s Office.

At this time it is believed the accidental fire was “electrical in nature,” according to the county.

“We would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone to have working smoke alarms and know two ways out of your home,” the fire department said in a statement.


Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *