Press "Enter" to skip to content

'He stabbed me': Charlottesville grand jury to hear case of friendly visit turned violent

A visit between two friends in Charlottesville turned violent earlier this year, sending one man to the hospital with multiple stab wounds.

Now, after a preliminary hearing in Charlottesville General District Court, a felony malicious wounding charge against 62-year-old Ricky Glenn Gatewood has been certified to a grand jury.

“I find that there is probable cause and will certify this,” said Judge Andrew Sneathern on Thursday.

Gatewood and Alvin Bruce were friends. But something changed March 28 in Bruce’s yard on 12th Street Northwest.

“We’d been hanging together doing a little drinking,” Bruce testified. “Just some gin — about a pint.”

Bruce said the two were sharing the beverages without incident for one and a half to two hours until they began to argue. That led to what he described on cross examination as a “tussle.”

After the tussle, according Bruce, Gatewood departed to his own residence, which maps show to be about a block away.

“He went home,” said Bruce. “He came back with a knife.”

In a dramatic moment, prosecutor Joe Platania asked Bruce if he would be willing to lift his shirt to show the aftermath. As Bruce pulled up his black T-shirt, several scars — each appearing to be at least an inch long — came into the judge’s view.

“He stabbed me,” said Bruce. “Four or five stab wounds.”

A longer scar, Bruce confirmed in answering a question from the prosecutor, was the result of a doctor opening his abdomen to repair internal injuries. He recalled spending three or four days in a hospital.

In the criminal complaint, Gatewood allegedly offered an excuse to the arresting officer.

“They jumped me,” Gatewood allegedly exclaimed before asserting that three men attacked him in his friend’s yard. Gatewood’s lawyer, Anthony Martin, did not call his client to testify.

Gatewood, according to court paperwork, had just started a new job at the Forum Hotel at the University of Virginia before his arrest. He was released two days after the incident on a $5,000 unsecured bond.

A grand jury will consider the evidence on Dec. 18 and decide whether to indict Gatewood on a felony malicious wounding charge. A conviction can bring a penalty of five to 20 years.


Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *