Press "Enter" to skip to content

Lithium-ion battery blamed for Charlottesville apartment fire

Charlottesville fire authorities say one of the notoriously flammable lithium-ion batteries was behind an apartment fire in the city.

Firefighters were dispatched to a smoky fire at the Oxford Hill Apartments on Madison Avenue on Monday.

“The fire was contained to a single bedroom within the apartment complex and was quickly extinguished by firefighters,” the fire department said in a statement Tuesday.

The fire marshal’s office said that its investigation found that a lithium-ion battery pack sparked the flames.

“These batteries, found in many devices, can catch fire or explode if damaged or not used correctly,” the fire department said. “Users of these devices should always follow the manufacturer’s recommendations when using and charging lithium-ion battery packs.”

Oxford Hill is close to University of Virginia Grounds and is popular among students. There were no injuries reported Monday.

Source: www.dailyprogress.com

Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *