Press "Enter" to skip to content

No injuries reported after North Garden structure fire

Albemarle County firefighters were dispatched to a two-story structure fire in North Garden Wednesday morning.

There were no injuries to report and authorities referred to the damaged property only as an “outdoor building” and not a permanent residence.

Career and volunteer fire crews were dispatched at approximately 10:18 a.m. Wednesday to the fire in the 3200 block of Plank Road.

“The first suppression unit arrived at 10:32 am, approximately 14 minutes after dispatch, where units discovered heavy fire conditions in the two-story outdoor building,” Albemarle County Fire Rescue said in a statement issued Thursday.

The cause of the fire has yet to be determined. The Albemarle County Fire Marshal’s Office is leading the investigation.

The Albemarle fire department said, however, that the incident was a good reminder for county residents to ensure their residence’s heating equipment is regularly inspected and used properly:

Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.

Keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet away from heating equipment, including fireplaces, furnaces, wood-burning stoves and portable space heaters.

Have a 3-foot “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heaters.

Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.

Make sure fireplaces have sturdy screens to stop sparks from flying into the room.

And test smoke alarms at least once a month.

Source: www.dailyprogress.com

Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *