Press "Enter" to skip to content

Charlottesville man shot by police in I-64 standoff dies

The man seriously injured in a police standoff on Interstate 64 on Afton Mountain Wednesday evening has died.

Kevin Taylor II, a 28-year-old Charlottesville resident, reportedly fled the scene of a shooting in Waynesboro Wednesday, leading police on a pursuit onto I-64, over Afton Mountain and into Albemarle County before his vehicle crashed into the guardrail. During a standoff with police surrounded by rush hour traffic, Taylor was shot and injured by police.

Taylor was transported the University of Virginia Medical Center Wednesday night where police said he was being treated for his injuries. Virginia State Police reported Thursday Taylor died late Wednesday night.

Virginia State Police, at the request of Waynesboro Police Chief David Shaw, is investigating the officer-involved shooting. The officers involved have been placed on administrative leave, per police department policy, until the results of that investigation are turned over to the Albemarle County Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office.

According to state police, Waynesboro officers were called to the 1000 block of Hopeman Parkway on Wednesday around 5 p.m. after a reported shooting. The victim in that shooting suffered non-life-threatening injuries, and the case remains under investigation, Waynesboro police said.

Waynesboro police who responded to the scene of the initial shooting reported seeing a man flee the scene in a Lincoln MKZ. Officers said they attempted to pull the motorist over, but he refused, leading them on a chase onto I-64 east over Afton Mountain into Albemarle County.

The police chase ended around 5:38 p.m. in the interstate’s eastbound lanes around mile marker 102 when the Lincoln ran off the road and crashed into the guardrail, according to Virginia State Police. A standoff ensued.

By 6 p.m., eastbound and westbound traffic on I-64 over Afton Mountain was being detoured off the highway. Those closest to the action were stuck in gridlock traffic for roughly an hour as police attempted to coax the suspect to surrender.

It remains unclear what exactly transpired, but motorists in the area reported hearing six to seven gunshots before the suspect fell.

No officers were injured, according to authorities, and a firearm was recovered at the scene.

Traffic on I-64, especially in the eastbound lanes, remained congested for hours into the night Wednesday. All westbound lanes had been reopened by 7 p.m., but eastbound lanes were still closed near the scene of the shooting as officers worked the scene. Delays were still being reported well past 11 p.m. Wednesday.


Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *