Press "Enter" to skip to content

Police standoff on Afton Mountain leaves 1 man injured, I-64 backed up for hours

A police standoff on Afton Mountain Wednesday evening left one man injured and traffic on Interstate 64 backed up for hours.

Waynesboro police said it was one of their officers that shot the man, a suspect in a shooting reported earlier in the day. The wounded man suffered "serious but non-life-threatening injuries," police said, and was being treated at University of Virginia Medical Center in Charlottesville Wednesday night.

Virginia State Police, at the request of Waynesboro Police Chief David Shaw, is investigating the matter.

Waynesboro police said officers were initially dispatched to the Parkway Village Apartments in the 1000 block of Hopeman Parkway in the city at 5 p.m. in response to a reported shooting there.

Police reported seeing a suspicious vehicle, identified as a Lincoln MKZ, fleeing the apartment and gave chase. Police said they attempted to stop the Lincoln, but the motorist refused to pull over, traveling onto I-64, over Afton Mountain and into Albemarle County.

The police chase ended around 5:38 p.m. in the interstate’s eastbound lanes around mile marker 102 when the Lincoln ran off the road and crashed into the guardrail, according to Virginia State Police. A standoff ensued.

By 6 p.m., eastbound and westbound traffic on I-64 over Afton Mountain was being detoured off the highway. Those closest to the action were stuck in gridlock traffic for roughly an hour as police attempted to coax the suspect to surrender.

It remains unclear what exactly transpired, but motorists in the area reported hearing six to seven gunshots before the suspect fell.

No officers were injured, according to authorities, and a firearm was recovered at the scene.

According to department policy, the Waynesboro officers involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the state police investigation.

Traffic on I-64, especially in the eastbound lanes, remained congested for hours into the night Wednesday. All westbound lanes had been reopened by 7 p.m., but eastbound lanes were still closed near the scene of the shooting as officers worked the scene. Delays were still being reported past 11 p.m. Wednesday.

Anyone with information regarding the initial shooting in Waynesboro is asked to contact the Waynesboro Police Department at (540) 942-6675 or the anonymous CrimeStoppers tip line at (800) 322-2017.


Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *