Press "Enter" to skip to content

Unattended grill sets fire to 2 acres of forest in Red Hill area of Albemarle County

An unattended charcoal grill has been blamed for a fire that destroyed an outbuilding and scorched 2 acres of forest in the Red Hill area of Albemarle County Saturday.

Career and volunteer crews with Albemarle County Fire Rescue were dispatched to a reported fire in the 2400 block of Old Lynchburg Road around 4:55 p.m. Saturday.

Firefighters reported encountering heavy smoke conditions and an outbuilding fully engulfed in flames as soon as they arrived on the scene.

The structure was a total loss and roughly 2 acres of forest were scorched before the fire was extinguished, fire authorities said. No injuries were reported at the scene.

“The Albemarle County Fire Marshal’s Office has determined the cause of the fire to be a charcoal grill that was left unattended,” the fire marshal’s office said in a statement.

The fire marshal took the opportunity to emphasize how important it is to never leave a burning grill unattended.

“The grill should be placed well away from the home, deck railings & out from under eaves & overhanging branches,” the fire marshal’s office said in its statement. “Keep children & pets at least three feet away from the grill area & keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills & in trays below the grill.”

Source: www.dailyprogress.com

Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *